"I want to make an impact", no you don't.



This whole make an impact thing. So many people say one of their goals is to make an impact on the world. Been there, done it. 
I have talked to prime ministers. I have had CEOs of major international companies seek me out to speak to me. I get regularly rolled out to government MP's as someone whose making an impact. 
I have bought technology to the poor to help close the gap between the haves and the have nots. 
I have won national awards for my services to the community. 

Do you know what its got me? I live in a crappy house in a crappy street in a crappy city. My work is often thrown in my face. The people I help don't appreciate me and the ones who are supposed to care and finance these types of work want to put it into sports and trendy things. Rugby uniforms are more important than poor kids being able to use a computer to learn things online. 

Never saved my wife either. 

Speaking of my wife, shes an international author, her work is sold around the world. She has fans who love her and listen to her. What did we make from her book over the last 3 years? $250. That's it. 

Fuck making an impact. It will not help you. Be mediocre. Its a shitload less stress and a much easier more fulfilling life.


No comments:

Post a Comment