That time I got engaged

 

Story time with old MG.

This is the time I lied to my wife and why you will all forgive me for doing so.

She knew we were going to get engaged, it was a given but I was determined to make it a surprise. Trying to get around an empath who knew the moment anything was a twinkle off was not easy. I told her “maybe January February area we should get engaged” (that was the lie). Now, I thought hard about how I was going to do this. The initial thought was take her to the local cinema and have a message up on screen before the movie started, I knew the owner and he would have done it, but she would have picked up on the staff acting funny and as I said, I was determined to surprise her.

I made a plan, we occasionally went for picnics and had our favorite place. She loved it and I could arrange it without arousing her suspicions.  Ok, plan, now the ring, my sister used to be a jeweler, I had the ring but it needed to be resized. We visited my sister who used a great line, “Hey, I got this ring, I wonder what it would look like on you.” Using that she was able to get the size, perfect, I dropped the ring in to a jeweler to have it resized and then, intentionally, I put it out of my mind.

It was around 4pm in December (summer in New Zealand) when they called to tell me it was done. Plan ready for action, I called my soon to be Fiancée and calmly said “hey, can you get the picnic basket and make yourself ready?” Let’s have a picnic after work, I’ll stop off at the supermarket and grab food, you don’t need to do anything. I race off, get the ring, do 2 loops of the supermarket making sure I had everything, nothing left out (ok, I got way too much). I get home, ring very safely stowed in a box in my pocket.

I collect her and we go out to our place. We find an area in some trees, no one around. Perfect, we set everything out.

“OK,” I say, “I have a wee surprise, close your eyes” she told me later she thought I had bought some chocolate or something.
“Open your eyes now” I was kneeling in front of her, ring box opened and ring facing her.
“Will you marry me?” She burst into tears and managed a “yes!”  

This was in the pre cellphones having cameras days, no pics I’m afraid. Then was the next thing for her. Sitting and having an amazing picnic dinner wearing her ring while wanting to go and tell all her friends. She managed it quite well. We got home, I looked at her, smiled and said “you need to phone your friends huh?” She nodded. “Go for it, I’ll get the picnic stuff in and put the leftovers in the fridge.” She almost ran to the phone.

So there we have it. I lied, and I’m not sorry.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment