Goodnight Mr hedgehog

I'm a sucker for the down and out. I try to help when the odds are stacked against me. Maybe it's because I wanted so many times for it to happen to me. Some hard lessons learned there, I no longer ask for help.
Anyways, 2 days ago while walking Mr Barkington I spied a hedgehog in the gutter. It happens, they get hit by cars at night. But, me being me went to check on it. It was still breathing. So I carefully picked it up (I happen to know how to handle hedgehogs) and took it home. It was good timing because a few mins later the street sweeping truck came past. 
So I got it home, checked for wounds etc and found none. It's very early spring here so maybe it had just come out of hibernation and was a bit disoriented. 
I put it in a nice box with some bedding and let it sleep for the day (hedgehogs are nocturnal). In the evening I pulled it out, gave it a better check over and a small bath. It was not in the best condition. And put it back into the box. I tried giving it food and water, it had a teeny bit of water but no food. Anyways, as I said, odds stacked against me, to cut a long story short, it died tonight. At least it was warm, safe and comfortable I could do that at least for it. 
Maybe when my time comes someone will do that for me too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment