Sometimes

 Sometimes I wish I was like you. 

Not knowing what it was to run out of money.

 Sometimes I wish I was like you. 

Not knowing what it was like to talk a woman out of suicide because their partner held them down and punched them in the face in front of their kids. 

 Sometimes I wish I was like you. 

Not having held your partner who was crying, dying in pain, and the pills just aren't cutting it tonight.

 Sometimes I wish I was like you. 

Being able to turn a blind eye to those in poverty in our community, instead of working with them like I do. "Because they are there by choice"

 Sometimes I wish I was like you. 

Thinking I was better because I never turned to illegal drugs because I didn't have the money for the legal ones. 

 Sometimes I wish I was like you. 

Thinking there was no meth epidemic, it's just a few bad apples. Not knowing the pain that pushed them there. 

 Sometimes I wish I was like you. 

Thinking I was above women who sold their bodies to try and make rent.

Actually, you know what? I'm glad I'm not like you. Sure, I lack your privilege, but at least I have reality and not your delusions. 

I remain, The Modern Gentleman. 


No comments:

Post a Comment