Low key praise

 

A number of years ago I was called into a job. The computer network was going nuts and unusable, other specialists had failed to find the fault. After a number of hours, I was able to locate the cause. I wandered off to management and told them everything was fine. It was during a staff meeting. The whole room erupted in applause and thanks.

20 years later I still remember that horrific moment.

I love praise but moments like that terrify me. Even someone close to me, I have zero clue how to react. I spent so many years with so little praise it’s a foreign thing to me. But I love it even still.

So, what do you do with someone who loves praise but has a problem with it? I had to sit down and think about it for a bit and the answer is fairly simple. Keep doing it, but low key. Also do it in a way that does not solicit a response.

For example, if they cook dinner, walk out with the plates, “that was great” as you walk out.

Maybe they buy you a favorite food. “wooo, I love these” as you tuck into it.

Staring at them “wow, you are the greatest, I love you so much” is eliciting a response and it becomes awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment