I can’t
tell you what’s worse. Sitting in an office while a police officer tells you
there’s been an accident, jump to the next day and you are helping to pick your
mothers coffin.
Or sitting
beside your wife, exhausted, after the two of you battled her cancer. Holding
her hand as she slips away, unable to do anything but watch.
Maybe it’s
the what ifs, what if my mother had been even 30 seconds later and that car
wouldn’t have hit her. What if my wife hadn’t trusted the dr who starved and
dehydrated her for 2 days before declaring her too far gone to help now.
Maybe it
was driving her to the hospice knowing it was a one way trip.
Maybe it
was that time I held my cat down as the vet injected him, damn he fought, but
part of his face was gone, there was no saving him. Got him when I was around
3, killing him at 14 was hard.
Maybe it
was a teacher as a child who stood me up in front of his class and screamed at
me while 30 kids laughed, who finally broke me when he hit me in the head with
my books.
Maybe it
was a childhood lived in fear, walking on eggshells because I knew what that
sadistic teacher was like.
Maybe it’s
all the people who told me over and over how stupid I was until I believed
them.
Maybe it
was all of the above combined.
Be kind to
the quiet, awkward guy in the corner. He’s been through more than you know, a
lot more.
A single
cut hurts but it won’t kill you, but 1,000 small cuts might.
No comments:
Post a Comment