Jealousy

I remember talking to her one day. We hadn't been together long. She was talking about a male friend who would be visiting the gathering she was at. How they had talked a few times. Suddenly she stopped. "I- I never slept with him she stammered, looking worried". For a moment I was confused. Then my mind caught up. Her narc husband. I said to her, "look, I don't care if you did. You are 53 with 2 children. I'm pretty sure you aren't a virgin anymore. It's ok if you had past boyfriends, I don't care if you see them still. More importantly I don't give a rats of some of your friends are male. "
"Thank you" she said.  "I have trouble, my husband used to get mad if I spoke to another male and he wasn't with me. It's going to take some getting used to".
The conversation drifted off. For a moment, deep in our thoughts.

I said to her, "If you ever slept with another man I would apologize". "why would you do that" she answered with a quizzical look. I said, "if you felt I wasn't the right person then I would feel I had a part to play in it, that I hadn't been what you needed, I wouldn't get angry, I would simply say sorry".



No comments:

Post a Comment